This creamy and cheese-filled veggie lasagna recipe is not only delicious, it is packed with nutrients! Unlike typical lasagnas that are loaded with fat and calories, this lasagna relies on the richness of cashews (or beans!) and tofu crumbles to create its cheesy layers. And if you want a lower calorie version or you’re avoiding nuts, you can substitute beans for some or all of the cashews. Feel free to add any veggies you enjoy!
Veggie Lasagna Recipe Ingredients:
- 12 lasagna noodles (brown rice or whole wheat)
- 1 ½ cups raw cashews (or cooked beans*)
- 1 jar pasta sauce (24-26 oz)
- 1 cup water
- 3 – 4 cups veggies (thinly sliced or chopped) (i.e. cauliflower, sweet potato, zucchini, carrots, broccoli, etc.)
- 2 – 3 cups leafy greens (chopped) (i.e. kale, spinach, collards, etc.)
- 12 – 16 oz firm or extra firm tofu (crumbled)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
Veggie Lasagna Recipe Directions:
- In a blender, add the cashews (and/or beans), pasta sauce and water, and blend into a smooth “cheese sauce.” Add a little more water if needed.
- Boil a large pot of water. Cook noodles 6 minutes until slightly soft.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread ¼ of the cheese sauce in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch glass pan.
- Place a layer of noodles over the sauce, using 4 noodles and leaving a little space in between them.
- Spread half of the veggies over the noodles and top with ¼ of the cheese sauce.
- Place another layer of 4 noodles.
- Spread crumbled tofu over noodles and evenly spread garlic powder, onion powder, and salt on top.
- Spread the remaining veggies on top of the tofu. Top with ¼ of the cheese sauce.
- Place the last layer of 4 noodles.
- Spread the remaining cheese sauce on the top (make sure to cover all edges of the noodles).
- Cover and bake 1 hour.
- Cool 15 minutes before cutting and serving.
*You can replace half or all of the nuts with cooked beans (i.e. navy, cannellini, kidney, etc.)
Leave a Reply